[MPlayer-users] <vo_direct3d>Allocating offscreen surface failed

Greg Bryant bryantgtx at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 13:41:17 CET 2009

> Greg Bryant <bryantgtx at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I moved the windows mplayer off my dev machine (where it works) and onto
> > machine I use to watch videos now, but it didn't play.
> >
> > <vo_direct3d>Allocating offscreen surface failed.
>
> What sort of notable differences video-wise are there between the two
> machines?
>
> If you're using a current SVN version, the offscreen surface is now
> initially allocated at the full display size rather than just the playing
> video size, so perhaps the problem machine has a very high resolution on
> its display, but can't support allocating a surface that large?
>
> You'll probably have to tweak the vo_direct3d code to pass through the
> actual Windows error from the CreateOffscreenPlainSurface call to have
> a better idea of what is failing on the target system.
>
> -- David

Thanks David.  IT seems to be just that machine.  I copied to a different
system, and it worked.  from msdn, there's only one error code,
D3DERR_INVALIDCALL, and fortunately (or not), that's what's coming back.
The screen is 1280x720 via DVI.  I loaded up dxdiag, and ran the tests, and
they ran fine.  The d3d9.dll version is 5.03.2600.5512, the same as on the
other two systems.  The size being passed to CreateOffscreenPlainSurface is
720x400 (the size of the video), so it shouldn't be an overall window size.

I see two main differences.  One is that it's DVI rather than standard VGA.
The other is that it's a VIA chipset rather than a straight Intel. Not sure
why either of those would make a difference, since the regular D3D tests
passed.

Thanks,
Greg