[MPlayer-users] overriding built-in codecs in codecs.conf

Mohammed El-Afifi mohammed_elafifi at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 29 22:25:49 CEST 2007

I'm using fedora 7, 64-bit edition. I've recently installed mplayer. When I type mplayer -ac help, I get a list of all supported codecs. One of the lines in the list reads as follows:
rasipr      realaud   working   RealAudio Sipro  [sipr.so.6.0]
Well, I don't have such a library sipr.so.6.0 on my system. and I made sure that real audio files can be played with another library sipr.so which is available on my system.
Hence, I created a ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf and wrote the following lines in it:
audiocodec rasipr
info "RealAudio Sipro"
status working
format 0x72706973
driver realaud
dll "sipr.so"
The file doesn't contain any other codec definitions.
Now, when I issue the command
mplayer -ac help
I get only this one line
rasipr      realaud   working   RealAudio Sipro  [sipr.so.6.0]
It seems that codecs.conf overwrites all the built-in codecs in mplayer with the ones in the file. I wanted only to override the rasipr codec.
Is there a way to override a single codec in the codecs.conf, making mplayer still depend on other its built-in codecs that weren't overridden?
Appreciating your feedback. Thanks for your support.