[MPlayer-users] audio stutter with DTS in matroska?

Ulion ulion2002 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 02:01:12 CET 2007

2007/11/1, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>:
> On 10/26/07, Ulion <ulion2002 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2007/10/27, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>:
> > > I've got a few matroska files I've downloaded with DTS audio tracks,
> > > when play them with -ac hwdts it works but the audio stutters quite
> > > badly.
> > >
> > > I did a quick google search and nothing came up, is there a way to
> > > troubleshoot this? I've got an ALC655 audio chipset and have tried it
> > > with two different receivers.
> > >
> > > thanks!
> > >

> > Any samples? What platform do you use? Did you try mplayer svn
> > version? Which audio output module are you using? alsa, or oss? Did
> > your receiver can decode dts audio correctly from other avi files
> > outputed by hwdts?
>
> previously I was running Kanotix and had the issue with both the
> debian package and compiled from SVN. I've always used ALSA for output
> on this computer. I think I had the problem with DTS in an AVI before,
> but recently all I've tried are via mkv files and I don't want to say
> for certain. I'll see if i can find a non-MKV DTS track (perhaps from
> a DTS audio cd?) to see if i still have the issue.
>
> I recently installed Ubuntu and am using the packaged mplayer and
> still have the issue.

DTS audio cd is not supported by mplayer.
Since you think DTS in AVI always has problem, then we assume your
mplayer always has problem of DTS passthough. Then what about AC3
passthough?
What kind receivers did you use? Can them decode DTS/AC3 correctly by
other any player on your system? Are you using coaxial or optical
output of ALC655. What's the ao setting of your mplayer? ALSA need to
set some ao sub-device to passthrough correctly. You may try this:

-ao alsa:device=spdif
or
-ao alsa:device=iec958
or
-ao alsa:device=hw=0.4

Where the 0.4 can decided by output of cat /proc/asound/pcm

--
Ulion