[MPlayer-users] record audio streaming

Ambrosius Nihilo evaristegalois at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 11 22:45:25 CET 2007

I am trying to record streaming audio from a public radio server with this
command:

/usr/bin/mplayer -noframedrop -dumpfile
/home/evariste/ram-files/soundfile.ram -dumpstream
mms://stream4.orf.at/oe1-wort

Even though this used to work very well and still sometimes works, often
(much more often than not) the recording just quits after 8 seconds,
sometimes after 42 seconds. I figure that either my computer is too slow (1
GHz, 256 RAM, I run Ubuntu Linux 6.06 -- should be enough!) or the internet
connection is not fast enough (it's a High Speed connection). These are my
three options:

(i) get a new computer

(ii) get a better internet connection

(iii) maybe reformulate the mplayer command so that it is less vulnerable to
quitting

Which of these three should I pursue? Is (iii) a possibility? Are there
other ways to record streaming audio from the command line (I always do
timed recordings using cron, so only a command line recorder will work)? How
about ffmpeg, although I've tried really hard and never got it to work as an
audio stream recorder. mplayer used to do very well. I don't know why it's
giving me so much grief now. All I did was re-install ubuntu (all of which
works fine).

I appreciate any help,

evaristegalois