[MPlayer-users] Dolby Surround decoding

Michael Holland mplayer at golden.wattle.id.au
Sat May 27 04:06:47 CEST 2006

Richard Bromley wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to get full Dolby Surround decoding working with
> MPlayer, but there seems to be no way to decode the center channel.

Which "Dolby Surround"?
The original home (not cinema) "Dolby Surround®" only had 3 channels,
according to
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/surround-sound4.htm

Perhaps you want "Dolby Pro Logic®"??

Still, if I understand correctly, the "center" channel is just the
common parts of L & R, which you can do with any stereo signal.
Simple in concept :-) Just like filtering out the low frequencies
to send to the subwoofer.
Is 'mplayer' the best place to do that? Or does it belong as a filter
in ALSA etc?  Is that possible currently?
(Better yet in the amplifier, of course.)

I'm new here, and posting under the assumption that somebody will
correct me if I'm wrong.