[MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri May 5 22:06:21 CEST 2006

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 05:21:28PM -0500, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
> >>How is using .mp4 proving his incompetence?
>
> AVI, given its limitations, isn't that great of a container either.
> However, it's widely distributed. Hell, it's MPlayer's default output
> format. And that still doesn't solve the problem that not all
> programs output to AVI. Besides, the container has little to do with
> the CODEC in use, and the CODEC is what it's all about. I think the

I didn't say it affected the test. I said it proved his personal
incompetence in the field he pretends to be an expert on.

> choice of MP4 wasn't because it was a great container, just a common
> one.

It's not common at all, thank goodness.

> If people wanted great containers, we'd see more Matroska and
> OGM files floating around, instead of AVI.

Now you've proved your incompetence too. OGM is the absolute worst
container in all respects. When will people learn to stop talking
about things they don't understand and pretending to be experts on
them?? It reminds me of: http://bash.org/?20759

> >As for an alternative, mpeg4-es (no container at all) would be totally
> >appropriate.
>
> You're correct in this case. Just out of curiosity, can MPlayer
> output to MPEG4-ES? Perhaps we could establish some benchmarks of our
> own, based on that.

Yes, -of rawvideo

Rich