[MPlayer-users] New version possibly support endpos on windows

Rainer Kohler koehler at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Wed May 3 18:04:33 CEST 2006

Jerry Geis writes:

> It seems logical the -endpos should continue to work
> as a player also...? Perhaps I only want to pop up 30 seconds of a video
> clip.
> It is working that way on MPlayer-1.0pre7try2 for linux.

> Is this a bug in versions after 1.0pre7try2?

I just tried it on my system:

kaag:Videos>> /usr/bin/mplayer whatever.avi -endpos 3
MPlayer 1.0pre7try2-4.0.2 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel  (Family: 8, Stepping: 1)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes

Unknown option on the command line: endpos
Exit 1

My manpage says:

GENERAL ENCODING OPTIONS (MENCODER ONLY)
       -audio-delay <0.0-...>
              Sets  the  audio  delay field in the header.  Default is 0.0, negative values do not
              work.  This does not delay the audio while encoding, but the player will see the de-
              fault audio delay, sparing you the use of the -delay option.

       -audio-density <1-50>
              Number of audio chunks per second (default is 2 for 0.5s long audio chunks).
              NOTE: CBR only, VBR ignores this as it puts each packet in a new chunk.

       -audio-preload <0.0-2.0>
              Sets up the audio buffering time interval (default: 0.5s).

       -endpos <[[hh:]mm:]ss[.ms]|size[b|kb|mb]> (also see -ss and -sb)
              Stop encoding at the given time or byte position.

Note that the heading above -endpos clearly says "MENCODER ONLY"

Doesn't it make you think that the developers claim they never heard
of -endpos in mplayer?

My guess is that whatever you're using is not the official
MPlayer-1.0pre7try2.  The (full) output of mplayer might help...

Rainer