[MPlayer-users] How do you play multiple audio files as a continuous stream?

Richard Bromley rbromley256 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 06:03:14 CEST 2006

On 7/25/06, Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:
> Why is the ao reinitialization a problem? Do the files you're working
> with not have silence at the beginning and end?

Yes, and while in theory I could permanently join the files, there is
no universal way to encode track information in sound container
formats, so I would have to seek within them manually to start playing
at the beginning of any of the original segments.

> Anyway, you can work around mplayer's limitation by joining the files
> before you play them, probably with sox or maybe just with 'mplayer -ao
> pcm'. If this part gives you trouble, ask me again and I'll dig up how
> to do it.
>
> As long as your computer is fast enough, you should be able to start
> mplayer right after starting sox. Use some -cache value so the disk I/O
> doesn't make mplayer hiccup.

So as I understand it, after a quick glance at the sox manpage,
something like this

$ soxmix 1.mp3 2.mp3 - | mplayer -

should get me what I want by playing back sox's output of the joined
files. However, just running

$ soxmix 1.mp3 2.mp3 -

for me produces no output. I have also tried this with .wav files.
Help to get this working would be appreciated.