[MPlayer-users] Re: How to encode an ogg with mplayer?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jul 21 10:54:57 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 10:00:15AM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 01:18:53AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> >fine-grained seeking, lack of any decent standard for language tags
> >(so it's hard to have a player auto-select language), poor error
>
> What do you mean with this? Should the id tags contain language tags as
> in xml, so the player would know that this word is English and this word
> is Japanese?

No, I mean the complete opposite. The idiotic language tags in Ogg
contain a fully-spelled-out name for the language, complete with mixed
case. There's no reason to believe that different people making files
will use the same strings since there's no standard.

Sane containers use an official standard for language tags, i.e.
ISO639, so that you can be sure that English is always "eng", Japanese
is always "jpn", etc. This way a player can automatically select the
user's preferred languages.

Rich