[MPlayer-users] audio glitches on ppc mac mini g4 only with ac3 and altivec

Bas Hulsken bhulsken at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 2 13:43:01 CEST 2006

Not sure if this is a known problem, I did a quick search but couldn't
find anything.

this is the problem:
I run mplayer (svn, current) on a mac mini g4 with fedora core 5 (also
tried 4). All is well, but playing a movie with an ac3 soundtrack causes
severe glitches in the sound if played back over alsa. On oss emulation
(resampling done by alsa) there are no glitches, but then the sound quality
is
horrible (also does poor quality resampling).

mp3 soundtracks and dts (also 48kHz) play back fine. So the problem
seems to be in the ac3 decoder (internal liba52). Furthermore, It seems
altivec
related, because if I compile with --disable-altivec. Then the audio is
perfect. Unfortunately, this makes mplayer a bit slower, giving problems
on high resolution video.

to summarize, I'm pretty sure the problem lies in this file:
/mplayer/liba52/resample_altivec.c
but I know nothing about altivec, so I have no idea what the exact problem
is, and/or how to fix it.

if you need any more information, I can give it.

Thanks for any help,

best regards,
Bas