[MPlayer-users] Single threaded mencoder on a Dual Core machine

Meino Christian Cramer Meino.Cramer at gmx.de
Wed Apr 19 19:10:35 CEST 2006

Hi,

 as far as I know, mencoder isn't able to use both cores of a modern
 Dual Core CPU like an AMD64 X2 since it is single threaded.

 What I know for sure is, that only 50% load is on my CPU, when
 mencoder is working on a video. Or in other words: The encoding
 process will take twice the time....

 Since I am doing two-pass-encoding, I had an idea which may be
 completly nonsens (or not...I dont know the internals of the encoding
 process...):

 Would this script (or simmiliar) work:

 #!/bin/sh
 mencoder ...... -o /dev/null .... -vf pass=1 <infile>;
 sleep 60
 mencoder ...... -o <outfile> .... -vf pass=1 <infile>;

 ...starting the second process to utilize the second core with a
 delay to not to get in collsion with the "result stream" of the
 forst process...

 Only an idea !

 Would something like that work ?
 mcc