[MPlayer-users] [SOUND]: different alsa-device dending on AC3possible?

jpahka at welho.com jpahka at welho.com
Wed Aug 24 09:53:19 CEST 2005

Lainaus ACS <adrian.bacon at xs4all.nl>:

> > That is: for eg. mp3 I need to use:
> >
> >   mplayer -ao alsa:device=spdif ...
> >
> > but for ac3 pass-through I can't use the "device=spdif", I have to use
> the
> > default alsa-device, ie.
> >
> >   mplayer -ao alsa -ac hwac3 ...
> >
> > so that mplayer won't decode the ac3 stream in software but passes it on
> > for the
> > receiver to decode.
> >
> > Is this the intended behaviour of mplayer? Can it be configured somehow
> > automatically drop the "device=spdif" when it find's out that the content
>
> > has an
> > ac3 audio-stream?
>
> use -ac hwac3, for all your files. (note the , )
> Mplayer will first try hwac3, then other codecs.
>
> Adrian

I tried that, but it doesn't make any difference. And I also updated my mplayer
(cvs as of yesterday) just to make sure.

So, are you saying that issuing:

   mplayer -ao alsa:device=spdif -ac hwac3, ...

mplayer should pass-through ac3 stream to an external decoder when it sees one
and otherwise decode the non-ac3 stream and send the pcm to the defined "spdif"
alsa subdevice?

If so, then that is exactly what I want. And then I guess I've found a bug. But
did I understand you correctly, is this the intended behaviour of mplayer?

TIA,

juhis