[MPlayer-users] how to join and convert many mpg1/2/wmv to one mpeg4 avi

Jouni.Lohikoski@iki.fi jlohikos at cc.hut.fi
Tue Aug 16 14:26:41 CEST 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 07:10:46PM -0700, RC wrote:

> Software bug?  User error?  Damaged input files?
> Would you like me to keep guessing?  I can go on like this for quite a
> while...

Ok. Lets do this thoroughly then. I have had this problem so often and
long, I thought surely it is an old issue and wouldn't need deep
explanation and examples. /incoming is not working, so the example files
are (to the end of this week) here:
< http://www.hut.fi/~jlohikos/joining_and_encoding_mpeg1_wvm_to_mpeg4.tar.bz2 >
It also has a README.txt file about the problem.

> Sure, just cat the ASF files together, then encode from that single
> large file.  Then it really will be just one continuous stream with a
> few errors

But it doesn't work with my MPlayer then. Only the first WMV file has
been encoded. If given the WMV files as an arguments for mencoder,
the mencoder hangs after encoding 1.wmv and has to be send SIGKILL.

> > Also just joining plain MPEG1/2 files does not work:
> It does for me.

Doesn't for me without the help from mpgtx.

> > OPTS="-ovc lavc -oac topy -lavciots vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=500"
> >     mencoder <OPTS> -o test.avi 1.mpg 2.mpg 3.mpg
>
> If you've got that many typos in your command-line, it's no wonder you
> can't get it to work.

:P Well, those were at least without typos in the start of the post.

> Issues like a/v sync when muxing from MPEG/ASF files have been
> addressed many times in the docs and on this mailing list.  They aren't
> specific to multiple files.  Try "-noskip", different values for "-mc",
> etc.

Those haven't helped. README.txt's examples do not have -noskip, but I
also tried them with -noskip which didn't help.

And version I am using is:
MEncoder 1.0pre7-3.4.3 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team