[MPlayer-users] MPlayer-1.0pre4 bug with divx4 multipass filter

Sun Sep 12 23:16:41 CEST 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, D Richard Felker III wrote:

DRFI>> Right now, I'm using dev-RPM-CVS-040904-03:12-3.3.2. Lavc was cvs up'ed
DRFI>> the same day, of course.
DRFI>
DRFI>are you using redhat? probably they have some broken

Redhat? It's for severs only, and very expensive.. Ever heard that rpm
is used in almost every linux distro?

But you almost guessed right, I'm using fc1-based distribution called
asplinux.

DRFI>compiler/kernel or lib that's messing up lavc. you seem to be

Do you really think that such problems exist nowadays, especially if
users are doing everything correctly?
And you think that library that can be damaged by these things is a good
library?

I can believe that some kernel or glibc patches, preloading etc can
result in problems with "unsteady" code, such as win32 loader, but in
lavc under such specific conditions?

DRFI>having lots of problems that no one else can see...
DRFI>> When trying to decode xvid-encoded content with lavc, there are random
DRFI>> distorted blocks appearing all over the image if qpel was used. If
DRFI>> "packed" xvid option was used, the situation is even worse. Personally,
DRFI>> I don't like qpel, so I don't suffer from this problem, but some fansub
DRFI>> groups encode with xvid and use qpel, so setting xvid as default decoder
DRFI>> is a good idea.
DRFI>huh? i watch plenty xvid-encoded fansubs and other files, so i'm sure
DRFI>some of them must be using qpel... i've never seen such a bug.

Not sure how to explain it.

DRFI>> There are another problems when decoding with lavc. When running
DRFI>> "mplayer xvid-encoded-file.avi -vf noise=12uah", mplayer writes
DRFI>> "vf.c: have to REALLOCATE buffer memory :(" several times a second,
DRFI>> and often, but not always (in about 50% cases) segfaults on exit (in
DRFI>> uninit_vcodec), and then hangs. Interrupting doesn't help, only sigkill
DRFI>> does. Also, several upper lines get distorted.
DRFI>this has nothing to do with xvid/lavc...and in fact it should never

But it has.

DRFI>happen. if you see a crazy bug like this, please upload samples and
DRFI>make a bug report! obviously no one else has experienced this problem,
DRFI>or at least none of the developers.

OK. You can get one yourself, by encoding any file with xvid; I'll post
options that will lead to this when encoding the file I'll upload, to be
sure.

--

Vladimir