[MPlayer-users] lavc vs. xvid (and improving lavc quality)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jul 9 08:48:44 CEST 2004

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 11:47:50AM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> DRFI>> If the 2.5 gamma isn't right, then what should I tweak to? To stupid
> DRFI>> sRGB? No thanks.
> DRFI>
> DRFI>Remove all gamma correction. Even if there are no blocks, it will make
> DRFI>the picture look horribly washed out.
>
> You don't understand me. The only gamma correction I use is just for
> compensating difference in my monitor's r/g/b gamma and for setting it
> to the way it should be. Nothing is washed out, I can assure you ;)

The way it should be is: NO CORRECTION. This is the way movies are
encoded. They're intended for the nonlinearity of a typical television
or CRT monitor. And BTW nonlinear intensity is a GOOD thing since it
gives you more precision in the dark areas where you need it to avoid
stairstep/blockiness artifacts.

> DRFI>> I do ;) I don't mind tearing, really.
> DRFI>
> DRFI>OK, if you don't care about tearing you can't whine about blocks.
> DRFI>You're not a videophile.
>
> Lol. Actually, the main reason I started to use x11 is that I see
> difference between hardware scaling and mplayer's bicubic scaler and I
> prefer mplayer's scaler. The difference can only be visible when scaling
> vcd-size video to full screen or such, but anyway. Btw, hardware scaler
> also uses bicubic algorithm, but with different coefficient, and
> mplayer's picture is a bit sharper. Then I understood how great
> subtitles are with -vo x11 and how they suck with xv: the font is always
> in high resolution, even for low-resolution clips, it's always right
> size, no font squashing for svcd's or dvd's with external subs, and
> after that I almost never use xv. And tearing.. no big deal. Besides,
> it may be visible if monitor's refresh rate is low, but it's hardly
> noticable on 100hz and almost unnoticeable on 120hz (or maybe because it
> divides by 24 and 30 ;) ).

Idiotic! Tearing is WORSE with higher refresh rates. Anyway you're
totally free to use mplayer's software scaler with vo_xv. It just
won't be loaded for you by default so you have to use -vf scale=... to
scale manually.

> DRFI>BTW can you fix your quoting? The "DRFI>" wastes lots of space and
> DRFI>looks bogus.
>
> Hmm.. I guess not while I use pine, it doesn't allow to throw away
> middle RF letters or to use different quoting types for different
> letters. Of course, I can edit myself before sending, but.. Hey, it's
> your fault that your name contains a lot of words in it ;)

Standard quoting is just ">", no names or initials...

Rich