[MPlayer-users] help - making videos run full-screen

Joonas Koivunen rzei at mbnet.fi
Thu Nov 13 15:56:06 CET 2003

On Thursday 13 November 2003 16:34, Charles Howse wrote:
> Hi,
> This is my first post to this list, so forgive me if I've missed something
> that was covered before.
Searching the mailinglist archives might prove to be a good way..

> I'm running FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE-p13, KDE 3.1, and have installed the
Keep in mind while reading the rest of my answer, I know near nothing about
*bsd :)

> kmplayer port by running 'portinstall kmplayer', which completed
> successfully. I was prompted to select the skins to install, and chose only
> the default skin.
One thing is for sure, kmplayer doesn't use/support skins, not that it'd
matter with your problem and not that you've had said something like it. :)

> I have recompiled my kernel with 'options USER_LDT'.
> The only way I can get any of my existing videos to play is by selecting X11
> Shm for my video driver.
Hmm, I guess an autodetect code must be build to kmplayer to ease things up a
bit...

> The output of xvinfo is as follows:
> X-Video Extension Version 2.2
> Screen #0
> no adaptors present
>
> My video card is an ATI 3D Rage IIC AGP w/ 8MB ram.
> When I installed XFree86, this card was not on the list, so I selected the
> ati driver, X is working fine at 1024 x 768.
You don't say what verion of XFree86 you have.. Ati drivers must have
undergone most of the driver development recently..

> My videos will play, with audio, but they will not resize any bigger than
> 150%.  I'd like them to run full-screen, like they did in WindowsXP.
That is because you don't have xv support built-in your graphic cards drivers.
Xv provides hardware scaling, which means that the cpu doesn't have to do
anything in order to get the movie scaled.. At the moment cpu does all of the
job, 1.5*original_size being the most what your cpu can do.

> Can someone point me to where I can look to see how to do this, or give me a
> tip on how to get this done?
I bet you ain't the only one living with a lousy ati card and *bsd :) I'd
check that I have the latest XFree86, then go after XFree86 mailinglists and/
or irc channels (irc.freenode.net/#xfree86 for example) and google. Since
scaling works in the full screen with xp, it means that your card is capable
of hardware scaling.

Another way could be to use such video out (mplayer -vo help, man mplayer
also) which could use a resolution that almost matches the original video
resolution and then only a little scaling would be needed... If you choose to
take this path, you should start using the commandline interface and read the
holy manual (man mplayer)..

> Thanks,
> Charles
-rzei