[MPlayer-users] Re: divx file sizes

Rémi Guyomarch rguyom at pobox.com
Wed Apr 9 20:19:42 CEST 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 01:30:36PM +0200, Hans Meine wrote:
> Sadly his only quality measure is PSNR, which is a rather artificial
> measure and does not necessarily tell you which is the best quality
> in your eyes.  However, although I read about "better" measures, I
> cannot currently remember where.. But in general, one should use
> more than one measure (another equally simple and not better one
> would be MSE, the mean square error).

Yes, I completely agree with you that PSNR isn't a really good quality
index. For example, the very idea of lumi-masking (high compression of
nearly-all white or nearly-all dark zones) will probably *decrease*
overall PSNR but will probably *increase* visual quality. But right
now we don't have anything better :-(

--
Rémi