[MPlayer-users] encode divx4

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Thu Oct 24 11:04:02 CEST 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 09:18, Nicolas Brainez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to encode a DVD to a divx mpeg4 on 3 pass :
>
> mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc frameno -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3 -o frameno.avi
>
> -> works fine, I get an 60mb file with audio only
>
> mencoder -dvd 1 -oac copy -pass 1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1230 -o movie.avi
>
> -> works fine too, I get audio AND video in this file (in faq I've read that I'm supposed to have only video)
>
> mencoder -dvd 1 -oac copy -pass 2 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1230 -o movie.avi
>
> -> I get a 6Gb file (audio and video) !!
>
> Where am I faulty ?

when using libavcodec ( lavc ) you have to use the vpass switch, and not
the pass one...

so :
mencoder -dvd 1 -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1230:vpass=1 -o movie.avi

and the same way for the second pass...

but i'm not sure if this is causing the problem you described

bye,
gabor