[MPlayer-users] Re: How to split a big AVI file into smaller ones

ChristianHJW christianhjw at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 4 09:54:01 CEST 2002

"J.S.Sahambi" <jsahambi at iitg.ernet.in> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3D9D32FC.50602 at iitg.ernet.in...
> I have a big AVI file which cannot fit in one CD. I would like to know
> how to split it into smaller segments. what softwares are available in
> Linux or windows for this task.
> Thanking in advance
> J S Sahambi

Another possibility : If its < 800 MB make an Ogg from the AVI using Moritz
Bunkus' OGMtools and burn it in mode 2 form 2 on every normal 80 mins CD
like it was a S-VCD ( no overburning required ), using the XCD tools from
http://xcd.sourceforge.net . I am sorry i lost track a bit on this project,
cant tell you what actual development status is with it.

They planned to have extra safety for Ogg files by saving main header ( and
only header ) in mode 2 form 1 , but i dont know if its implemented already.
Linux version was planned also, again no idea what actual status is. mplayer
should be able to read the files directly from CD with a minor patch ( maybe
already done ?? ) as it can play S-VCDs from disc, so reading mode 2 form 2
and parsing the Ogg then should be quite easy to do for mplayer.

Christian