[MPlayer-users] Re: About Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:

Jason Lunz lunz at falooley.org
Fri Oct 4 01:17:02 CEST 2002

arpi at thot.banki.hu said:
> then time to replace that broken mailer...
> threading does nothing with the subject, it is based on the In-Reply-To:
> field.

except that some readers (slrn for example) break threads on purpose
when the subject changes. See the "new_subject_breaks_threads" setting:
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/manual/slrn-manual-4.html

This is normally a _good_ thing.

> any other useless comments on these useless threads about nonsense things?

It's not useless. Of the 50 or so mailing lists I read, the only ones
with broken threading are the mplayer ones. And they're broken by a
single mailer:

If there were a good reason to repeat "Re: " with every reply, maybe I
wouldn't complain. But it's pointless even if you're not threading at
all. It just pushes the subject off the screen.

Jason