[MPlayer-users] Problem with a 300 MHz National Processor

Sourav Sachin ML sachinml at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 09:42:01 CET 2002

I am not able to play smooth video with mplayer (latest checked out from
CVS) on a 300MHz National Geode Processor (CS5530 Display/Audio processor,
128MB RAM, Local mms streaming server, RedHat 7.1 with X 4.1.0). However,
top shows 20-30% cpu unused. If I play a video without -framedrop option,
audio-video goes out of sync after some time but the performance is
relatively smooth. If I play the same video with -framedrop it sometimes
shows just a few frames and then video freezes, audio goes on.

When I put the same machine on windows 98, it plays the video from the same
streaming server smoother.
I tried everything available in mplayer docs for video tuning, but not much
luck.

Can separating a thread for network read and video display help here, since
I have available unused cpu resource ?

I read somewhere that Media Player on other platforms try to interpolate
some frames between the transmitted frames for better viewing experience.
This is the reason why these players report higher frame rate than the
encoded frame rates. Is there such implementation with mplayer too ?

In the latest mplayer I observe that it shows caching ..... upto 20% or so
before playing a stream thru network, Is it buffering. Is it a one time
buffering or whenever needed. I went thru docs but could not find changelog
about this.

Love and Peace,
sachin.