[MPlayer-users] poor video quality from mencoder when encoding with sound

Rick rick at topaz.ne.mediaone.net
Sat Jan 5 18:29:02 CET 2002

I had posted a message not long back about poor video quality.  I have since
narrowed the problem down.  If I encode with no sound, the picture quality is
100% perfect.  However, if I include sound in the file, the picture quality
drops SUBSTANTIALLY.  Encoding with PCM output (-oac pcm) gives slightly
reduced quality (some 'blocks' occur and objects leave minor trails).
Encoding with mp3lame gives absolutely horrible output for video (sounds
perfect though...).   I have upgraded to the latest CVS of lame and also the
latest CVS of mplayer (as of last night) and the problem still remains.
Please let me know exactly what details are needed and I will post them.

Thanks for a wonderful movie player.. this is something linux has been
needing for a long time.