[MPlayer-users] Re: [expert] NVidia will be bannished

Joe Krahn jkrahn at nc.rr.com
Sat Feb 2 05:05:02 CET 2002

> Yet, nvidia says their card&driver is perfect, bugs are non-existant,
> and any visual glitches, computer freezes is caused by buggy AGP chipsets.
> (see DOCS/users_against_developers.html)

That's funny. I just sent a bug report to nVidia about a glXContext
bug that could instantly crash any nVidia driver. But, I agree that
they do much better than current DRI or Mesa, which happen to
have the same glXContext bugs. (I guess everyone uses the same test
apps.)

A comment on the whole proprietary nVidia drivers thread (sorry to
keep it going):

Open Source is a good thing. It gives users a lot of power, and avoids
ugly politics like MS Word forcing users to upgrade for file compatibility.

Closed source is a good thing. It can develop quality products faster,
for those who can afford to pay (but can put a lot of limits on
working with the code, even for the owners.)

The thing that nVidia (and many others) do which is very ugly is to not
release docs on using the hardware which one has paid for. This means
that even proprietary code, like Xig servers, cannot support nVidia
cards. I agree that their nVidia's software efforts should be protected,
but not letting other people use their product is bad.

BTW, the Xig servers are excellent for OpenGL support, and should beat
nVidia's drivers for quality and performance. SO, if you like
proprietary code and quality drivers, and have money, buy an Xig server
and an ATI Radeon 8500. (I don't know how well their XVideo performs.)

Joe Krahn