[MPlayer-users] mandrake software inclusion policy

Guillaume Rousse rousse at ccr.jussieu.fr
Sat Oct 27 18:08:09 CEST 2001

Ainsi parlait Arpi :
> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html &
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html if you still have questions or problems]
>
> Hi,
>
> > As you already know, i'm currently maintaining avifile and mplayer
> > package
>
> yes, we know. and we are not happy knowing this.
Seriously, did you had any bugreports increase since package release ?

> > for Mandrake that can't be included officially for copyright/patent
> > problems: - only support for windows dll in both package
>
> not in mplayer. see --disable-win32
I meant 'my current package only support win32 dll', i didn't said it was not
possible to do otherwise.

> > So i was wondering it it was possible to build avifile/mplayer wich could
> > satisfy contrib requirement, using ffmpeg for divx support, not including
> > problematic parts but making them available as external packages. So, i
> > would like your opinion on the following issue:
> > 1) is this possible ?
>
> no. mplayer still depends on compile-time environment - so you still can't
> build portable (accross different CPUs, libs etc) binary.
> someone is already working on this issue, but his first patch was
> incomplete and broken. i'm waiting for next one. but it doesn't solve
> dependency of libvo and libao on external libs.
AFAIK, the current rpm is portable across at least two different computer
(mines), and i know other people use it without any problem.
Please explain this dependancy problem, as i don't understand you here. libvo
and libao are various libraries needed by video and audio output, right ?

> > 2) is this worth the try ?
>
> no
I would have bet on the answer :-)

--