[MPlayer-users] Help! XFree86 4.1.0 crashing when...

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Sun Oct 14 22:18:10 CEST 2001

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 09:50:36PM +0200, Mendel Mobach wrote:
> > Sorry, this is off-topic, but I am curious. How changed memory/swap
> > management in >2.4.9 kernel?
> > Regards.
> In kernel 2.4.10 is linus using a new VM. This VM is not very stable
> and not very well testen.
> Kernel 2.4.11 and kernel 2.4.12 are renamed to 2.4.11-dontuse and 2.4.12 has
> broken paralelport support.

Yeah. And you can find the solution yourself too, trivial patch. But see
mailing list linux-kernel if you don't want to figure out that little patch
yourself. And yeah, 2.4.11 has got a serious bug in handling link counter.

BTW, even on linux-kernel most people suggest using of -ac kernels instead ...
-ac kernels use another VM and had got more fetures, like integrated ext3
(at least it was in the last -ac kernel I've checked).

- Gabor