[Mplayer-users] benchmarks

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jul 1 09:55:15 CEST 2001

On Sunday, 1. July 2001 00:01, you wrote:
> Hi! Today I've downloaded and compiled mplayer from cvs in my Duron
> 800Mhz/128MB/nVidia TNT-16MB with XFree86 4.0.3. I have some question about
> the output driver (there so much! I'm kind of lost).
> I don't know what to use. What it's suposed to be better?
> I can use:
> x11 (not too good, I can't get fullscreen)
> xv (it's ok)
> opengl (when it works it's REALLY SLOW)
> sdl (the better for me cause I can change between fullscreen with the 'f').
>
> The sdl output it's aparently using x11 driver:
> SDL: Using driver: x11

it's SDLlibs X11 driver, which uses XVideo if available unless you give -noxv
commandlineswitch.
> I used the -forcexv but it has no effect for me.
It's only for systems where XVideo isn't properly detected.

> The only other driver (for X) I can't use (I think) is dga. I get this
> message:
>
> vo_dga: DGA 2.0 available :-) Can switch resolution AND depth!
> vo_dga: Selected hardware mode  640 x  480 @  85 Hz @ depth 24, bitspp 32.
> vo_dga: Video parameters by codec: 640 x 304, depth 24, bitspp 32.
> vo_dga: Framebuffer mapping failed!!!
hmm, does -vo sdl:dga work? (btw. it's slower then -vo dga, but fastest is
XVideo anyway wether you use -vo xv or -vo sdl:x11)

> Do you know what's wrong? and how can I fix it?
hmm, maybe Acki knows, did you have root priviledges?

> OK. I'll be very thanksfull if someone can tell me what's the diferences
> between drivers (specially sdl, dga, and xv), and witch one is better...
> Thanks!
it's different ways to access the graphics cards, generally XVideo is fastest
followed by dga.