[MPlayer-mirror] [RFC] several vhosts by content type

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Tue May 30 12:54:09 CEST 2006

Hi folks,

as I already suggested in my last mail, I'm thinking about splitting
off the website into several vhosts by parts / content types / etc.
So we could regulate a little bit finer, ie. put less important
stuff on slower machines, serve tarballs with lower priority /
limited bandwidth, ...

Here my suggestion:

+ The website tree structure remains untouched.
+ Some kind of links are now absolute, referring to several virtual
  hostnames by their content type.
+ The hostnames are (for example):

    www		The front multiplexer (only used as entry point)
    pix		Pictures, Icons, css, etc - evrything that's not
    		really needed to read the website
    docs	Documentations
    sources	For source tarballs

References between these parts of course have to be absolute, so the
right vhost name is taken by the client. Nevertheless the website
would be fully accessible if we stay within one vhost (ie. an good
thing if we forgot to change some link).

Each of these virtual names are assigned to a list of hosts, each
host with some multiplier factor. The large the available bandwidth,
the larger the factor. If bandwidth availability changes (gets rare
or better), we simply change this factor.

Additionally we could implement an HTTP-Redirect-based download
multiplexer for larger content, ie. tarballs or screenshots.
It provides an canonical URL for files and kicks the client to the
currently best available server (based on bandwidth and load
measuremens, etc), so the download gets from there.
But thats another story ...

What do you think about this ?

cu
--
"*Who am I*? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrei and Sophie
  Ivanova. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going