[MPlayer-mirror] [RFC] several vhosts by content type

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Jun 24 23:37:41 CEST 2006

Moin,

Sorry for the late response, i was a bit bussy the last weeks.

On Tue, 30 May 2006 12:54:09 +0200
Enrico Weigelt <weigelt at metux.de> wrote:

> as I already suggested in my last mail, I'm thinking about splitting
> off the website into several vhosts by parts / content types / etc.
> So we could regulate a little bit finer, ie. put less important
> stuff on slower machines, serve tarballs with lower priority /
> limited bandwidth, ...

I thought about this too, but refrained from it, because it
adds more work for those who set up a mirror and the advantage
is marginal. 80% of the traffic is comming from downloads of
our source tar balls and codec packs. So distributing the
traffic generated from the webpage itself doesn't help much.

> Additionally we could implement an HTTP-Redirect-based download
> multiplexer for larger content, ie. tarballs or screenshots.
> It provides an canonical URL for files and kicks the client to the
> currently best available server (based on bandwidth and load
> measuremens, etc), so the download gets from there.
> But thats another story ...

Too complicated... at least for now. We have more important
matters at hand that should have been resolved weeks ago.

				Attila Kinali

--
心をこめて聞け心をこめて話せ