[MPlayer-mirror] Traffic statistics

Robert Henney robh at rut.org
Wed Jul 19 03:39:08 CEST 2006

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 11:39:31PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Tue, 30 May 2006 12:55:12 +0200
> Enrico Weigelt <weigelt at metux.de> wrote:
>
> > does anyone have some traffic statistics, where we can see what type
> > of content or what parts of the site produce the most traffic ?
>
> Yes, but it's not complete. I will try to generate accurate
> statistics as soon as everything else is finished.
> For the moment, you'll have to live with the following approximate
> statistic:
>
> 80% of the traffic are tar balls/codecs packs
> 10% of the traffic is the webpage (html+pics)
> 10% of the traffic is svn and other misc stuff

that estimate seems about right to me.  the tar balls/codecs packs by
far take up most of the traffic.

lately I've been toying with the idea of finding some way to control the
bandwidth consumed by those particular files some, without adversely
affecting other parts of the mirror.  presently I'm making use of the
apache module mod_bandwith (v2.0.6 with MaxConnectionPerIP patch
applied).

below is my virthost entry with the relevant section marked by XX.  It
keeps the transfers from within the releases directory to a shared
maximum rate of 200kB/s, except for files less than 1MB in size which
are left unlimited.

connections to within the releases directory are also limited to 1 per
IP because there are too many people out there using accelerators that
make several connections in order to push up their own rate at the
expense of others.

    <VirtualHost 199.125.85.41>
    ServerName mplayer.rut.org
    ServerAlias www.mplayerhq.hu
    ServerAlias www3.mplayerhq.hu
    ServerAdmin robh at rut.org
    DocumentRoot /var/www2/mplayer/homepage
    Options FollowSymLinks
    Alias /homepage /var/www2/mplayer/homepage
    Alias /MPlayer  /var/www2/mplayer/MPlayer
    Alias /DOCS     /var/www2/mplayer/MPlayer/DOCS
    TransferLog /var/log/apache/mplayer/access.log
    ErrorLog /var/log/apache/mplayer/error.log
XX  BandWidthModule On
XX  BandWidthDataDir /var/lib/apache/mod-bandwidth
XX  <Directory /var/www2/mplayer/MPlayer/releases>
XX      LargeFileLimit 1000 200000
XX      MaxConnectionPerIP all 1
XX  </Directory>
    </VirtualHost>