[MPlayer-G2-dev] dual licensing try 2

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Feb 23 23:23:09 CET 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 09:34:26PM +0100, Gabucino wrote:
> > > Would _you_ support a lawsuit?
> > Well, I am not a lawyer, so I don't know what it takes to take such a
> > case to court, and what it takes to convince a judge that code was
> > copied while in non-compliance with the license and therefore
> > the company (e.g. KiSS) is guilty of copyright infringement. Maybe we
> > should ask for legal counsel on the 'donations page'...
> I've consulted a lot of lawyers, and each one of them suggested a deal, not
> a lawsuit. I'd have enjoyed the later one, but I understand the first one
> is a smaller mess.

A deal is good, as long as it involves them releasing their whole
program under GPL or at least halting all production permenantly.
Otherwise those wronged gain nothing. (Money only goes to the
developers, who are NOT the ones wronged. The ones wronged are all the
people of the world who are unable to use their sources, whether or
not they want to, because of proprietary restrictions.)

Rich