[MPlayer-G2-dev] dual licensing try 2

Gabucino gabucino at mplayerhq.hu
Mon Feb 23 21:34:26 CET 2004

rsnel at cube.dyndns.org wrote:
> Dual-licensing doesn't solve the ethical problem; it makes the ethical
> problem unsolvable (it can't even be solved through legal means anymore).
In case you (and Richard) think I'm (or Arpi is) a fan of proprietary stuff, I
assure you are mistaken. I just think there is a way of least disturbance.

> > Would _you_ support a lawsuit?
> Well, I am not a lawyer, so I don't know what it takes to take such a
> case to court, and what it takes to convince a judge that code was
> copied while in non-compliance with the license and therefore
> the company (e.g. KiSS) is guilty of copyright infringement. Maybe we
> should ask for legal counsel on the 'donations page'...
I've consulted a lot of lawyers, and each one of them suggested a deal, not
a lawsuit. I'd have enjoyed the later one, but I understand the first one
is a smaller mess.

> (And, what Rich just said, we could assign copyright to the FSF, then
> they will fight the legal battles)
Now that's disturbing :)

--
Gabucino