[MPlayer-G2-dev] dual licensing

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Feb 22 18:36:28 CET 2004

Hi

On Sunday 22 February 2004 17:24, Gabucino wrote:
[...]
> > >(as Fabrice's employer company is using it in closedsrc product)
> >
> > ??? Do you mean using code in violation of LGPL?
>
> Good morning!
>
> > AFAIK libavcodec does not have a double license
>
> It does (unpublic), you can see that in the archives too afair.
hmm, i assume u try to point towards some license fabrice commited by mistake
and then reversed that, after _alot_ of searching i finally found it
(http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ffmpeg/ffmpeg.c.diff?r1=1.34&r2=1.35&cvsroot=FFMpeg)
AFAIR back when ffmpeg was GPL fabrice first wanted to change it to BSD or a
commercial dual license or some other commercially friendlier license but i
(and others too) didnt agree, so after some long disscussions we decided to
switch to LGPL, i assumed that the commited license was some draft of what
fabrice suggested during these disscussions, it would also match the timing,
as the GPL->LGPL change was done shortly afterwards

> > So, what will you be able to do with the core alone? Buy a licence for
> > it and then steal all other stuff, assuming that the MPlayer team won't
> > go after you because you licenced the core? :)))))
>
> That's not our problem, is it.
no directly, allthough the lack of commercial interrest in mplayer G2 as a
result of the lack of contributions which will result from it may be, it
depends probably u dont care anyway

--
Michael
level[i]= get_vlc(); i+=get_vlc();		(violates patent EP0266049)