[MPlayer-G2-dev] the awakening, license changes and so on...

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Aug 4 17:10:21 CEST 2004

Hi,

> Alexander Strasser writes:
> > >
> > > Why do you want to get commercial users onto MPlayer ?
> > > Just for the sponsoring ?
> > Don't forget it be should the movie framework for ALL. Think about computer
> > games and lot's of other out of movie playback applications ( as the
> > main focus is on something else ), that can't publish their code, using
> > MPlayer G2 for movie playback and what not.
>
> Games could use GPL MPlayer G2 for movie playback without having to
> publish their code.

since when its' allowed to link gpl library to non-gpl (closedsrc) app???

> > And to get back to the first
> > point it will never be widly accepted as an industrial standard if it excludes
> > half of the possible uses and users.
>
> But what if half of the possible uses are bad (DRM, etc)?

it's question of viewpoint.
and the topic of drm is a very good example of this:
what happens to drm contents on non-m$ systems:
a, unplayable
b, some day being cracked and so playable illegally (css...)
c, playable legally using closedsrc plugin (here g2 comes in the picture)
d, playable using broken crap full-closedsrc app made by drm maker

(i vote for b, but until its done, c is still better than d or a)

ok i see your and rich's and rms' viewpoint of 'drm sux', i agree too,
but you simply cannot get drm 'erased' from the world, it will be used
and used even more in the future, that on-demand audio/video broadcasting
gets even more popular. you may fight against it, but it will reach
nothing, except that you wont be able to play these contents.

A'rpi / MPlayer, Astral & ESP-team

--
MPlayer's new image: happiness & peace & cosmetics & vmiklos