[MPlayer-G2-dev] An open, standard video/audio API?

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Sat Apr 17 23:34:11 CEST 2004

Mikhail Ramendik said:
> Hello,
>
> (SUMMARY. A general-purpose standard API for all multimedia
> processing, including codecs, filters, demuxing etc., would
> be very useful in GNU/Linux, and resolve many existing problems,
> including licensing. The MPlayer team is the best source for
> a standard that could be widely adopted. I would volunteer to
> do tech writing work on the spec).

Actually as somebody already have said there is an common api.
All players under linux use ffmpeg as primary codec monkey.
And the documentation of ffmpeg is smaller than the sample files.

If you look for alternative of DirectShow, you may take a look of
GStreamer project. It is generally what are you trying to achieve.

I don't know details of it. But in general I could say that
if we try to use common standart/interface we should make it simple.
If we make it simple it won't have best available speed.
All complications about direct rendering, slice rendering,
out of order rendering is to get maximum speed.

Anyway I would be very happy to have an profesional tech writer
on our side :)

Best Regards
   Ivan Kalvachev
  iive