[MPlayer-G2-dev] trying mp_image -> get/release_buffer migration...

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed May 28 14:33:18 CEST 2003

Hi,

> > main differences from g1/mpi style:
> > - no more specialized schemes like IP and IPB, and more than 3 buffers
> >   supported... (mpi is limited to 3)
> > - no 'one frame decoding == one get_image call' restirction. it's possible
> >   to allocate 3 buffers at init (or at first farme decoding) and then use
> >   them all them and then release them at uninit. or a filter (likeinv.
> >   telecine) may delay video by many frames, by allocating for example 5 of
> >   them. and so on, there is no limit. it will solve some problems we
> >   currently have. and it also make sit easier to implement filter
> >   merging/branching (multiple vo drivers, mixing 2 videos etc) _later_.
> >   also a buffer (image) may be returned multiple times by process_image().
> > - buffer structs aren't cloned/copied while transfering from one filter to
> >   another, like mpi. although i'm not sure it's required / is a good idea.
> >
> > comments?
>
> I'm a bit confused how all this works with DR into video memory, since
> a given buffer can only be "used" once, and the filter/codec drawing
> into it MUST release it along with displaying it in order to prevent
> shearing. Is this already covered, or do you have a plan in mind?

it should work as before.
it doesn't mean an 1:1 mapping of buffers, if the number or type of
available vo buffers doesn't match / is enough for the filter/codec,
then it will do copy (slices) instead of DR.

there is a dr flag to control this stuff, it has 3 states:
- no dr, ie dr is disallowed
- default, dr is used only if it doens't mean quality (tearing etc) loss
- force dr, it will prefer dr, even if it means worse quality (for example
  using double buffering instead of triple). usefull for very slow machines...

so the user can decide if quality or speed has higher priority.

but this is not new, it's done so already in g2, and partially in g1 too

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
Developer of MPlayer G2, the Movie Framework for all - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu