[MPlayer-G2-dev] pre23 released with native ogg demuxer

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon May 12 13:43:57 CEST 2003

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 12:43:38PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:41:44AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > pre23:
> > > - AVI demuxer: now it can parse interleaved streams.
> >
> > Good, at this point, this is the most important one... (When will
> > someone implement nut? Will I have to do it...?!?)
>
> i'll implement nut demuxer, but i'm lazy & buzy to wrote muxer

Demuxer for mplayer and g2, or just g2? If you'll do both, I'll see if
I can write a muxer soon. I'm getting annoyed that *someone* offered
to implement nut to help it get ahead of crap like matroska and mcf,
then turned around and implemented matroska support in mplayer
first... :((

> > > - a_pts calculation fixes, now it handles all mpegs & avis correctly
> > >   (the flag DEMUX_STREAM_FLAG_PTS_FOR_NEXT is ignored now, it's redundant!)
> > > - native Ogg/Ogm/OggS demuxer :)
> > >   vorbis support not yet finished, nor the old directshow format
> > >   theora and new dshow video (divx etc) works!
> > >

> > > yes, i wrote a native ogg demuxer from scratch, based on the ogg fformat
> > > specs (libogg/doc/ogg/datastructures.html), it was not a big deal, ogg is
> > > very simple (even simpler than vivo) format. the messy/complicated things
> > > come when you're parsing codec-specific headers...
> > > the demuxer part can be implemented in 1k, see TOOLS/dump_ogg.c :)
> >
> > Great! Yep, it's silly to require a special lib to demux ogg.
>
> yes
> nice to see that what libogg can do is actually doable in 1k of c code :)

Yep. libogg isn't huge itself, tho. It's just ugly. And the checksum
checking is nonsense slowdown.

> > > i didn't implement audio support yet, for 2 reasons:
> > > - i don't like vorbis :)
> >
> > Why? Vorbis seems to be the best audio codec available right now...
>
> i mean the library, with its extra-silly API and libogg-dependency and idiot
> way of passing headers from demuxer.

Oh. How about just importing the tremor (integer ogg decoder) code
into MPlayer? It's quite small, performs much better, and has 24 bits
of precision so it shouldn't be lower quality. I'm sure it could be
stripped down even more minimally (and optimized too) if desired.

Rich