[MPlayer-G2-dev] reducing/simplifying codebase

Nico nsabbi at libero.it
Tue Jul 22 18:26:19 CEST 2003

Diego Biurrun wrote:

>gabucino at mplayerhq.hu writes:
> > D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > > Agree mostly, but a bit undecided... It sucks for users to have to
> > > install special libs to compile a working mplayer, especially when
> > > those libs are considered "risky" by distro maintainers, and thus not
> > > included in distros.
> > So they are gonna drop it out of MPlayer too :)
> > BTW Joe User usually installs libdvd* stuff anyways, just in case.. So we
> > might actually drop mpdvdkit.
>
>I don't think Joe User does that, but since Joe User is such a
>hypothetical person, let's not speculate any further.
>
>We can also make a compromise here: Remove libmpdvdkit, but add a link
>to it on our download page and try to document it properly, something
>like "Step X: download some extra libs".  We might also build some
>all-in-one packages for greater convenience, but this is just a wild
>idea.

mpdvdkit is guaranteed to compile and work out of the tarball, libdvd*
dependencies aren't.
IMHO if you don't want to be pestered by     "boooh, doesn't compile" ->
"me too" messages
in the ML it's better to keep them.

And one thing I would ADD to g2 is faad: it's always a nightmare to
compile, as it's always half broken,
and not all of the package is needed for mplayer