[MPlayer-G2-dev] reducing/simplifying codebase

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jul 22 07:47:27 CEST 2003

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 06:21:02PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Imho we should consider removing of some included libraries from g2:
>
> - libmpdvdkit - it doesnt differ from libdvdcss/libdvdread nowdays
>   (originally it was created to include several patches and bugfixes
>   not present in official libdvdcss/libdvdread)

Agree mostly, but a bit undecided... It sucks for users to have to
install special libs to compile a working mplayer, especially when
those libs are considered "risky" by distro maintainers, and thus not
included in distros.

> - libmpeg2 - it's quite broken, at least it cannot handle seeking at all
>   and is already patched to hell to work at all work mplayer...

And slower than libavcodec, it seems...

> Also when we port things from g1, we should consider
>
> - dropping .raw font support, imho freetype alone is enough.

Agree totally.

> - libdha / vidix shouldnt be included, but support the vidix.sf.net release
>   instead

Yes, or something better (not so brain-damaged)...

> - dropping xvid_vbr.c/divx4_vbr.c, last evrsins of divx5/xvid/lavc have its
>   own 2pass API functions, no need for external control

Agree.

> anything left out?

Of course. Nothing in particular comes to mind, but there're tons of
nonsense hacks that should NOT be ported to g2...

Rich