[MPlayer-G2-dev] Re: Limitations in vo2 api :(

Andriy N. Gritsenko andrej at lucky.net
Sat Dec 20 15:58:15 CET 2003

    Hi, D Richard Felker III!

Sometime (on Saturday, December 20 at 15:52) I've received something...

[...skipped...]

>I see two approaches to having a unified api for building the
>pipelines:

>1. Storing the linked-list pointers at the beginning of the structures
>   for each type, and type casting so that they can all be treated the
>   same. IMO this is a very ugly hack.

>2. Having a second layer on top of the underlying pipeline layers for
>   the app to use in building the pipelines. This seems somewhat
>   wasteful, but perhaps it's not.

3. Have some common structure type stream_t. Then, for example, video
   stream structure will be:

typedef struct {
  stream_t st;
  ....... /* rest are video-specific */
} video_stream_t;

    Then just assuming from application point of view some *vidstr1 is
stream_t*, from video filter (demuxer, vo, etc.) point of view it's
video_stream_t*. Anyway that video_stream_t may (and must) be created
only by video layer API so there isn't any problem with that. :)

>> >And now we can be slow like Xine!! :))))

>>     I'm not sure about that. :)

>OK, sorry, that was a really cheap flame... :)

    No problem, I've understood that was a joke. I liked it. :)))

    With best wishes.
    Andriy.