[MPlayer-G2-dev] Information about video coding

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Dec 20 15:49:22 CET 2003

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 03:19:53PM +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
> Heyo,
>
> As i keep asking more and more questions about video coding
> the last few days, i'd like to ask whether there are any
> good resources (webpages, papers, books) about video coding,
> especialy in practical applications not only academic stuff.

Actually I don't know any. :)

But what are you looking for? There are good (but expensive) resources
about video compression and filtering techniques for enhancement and
special effects. But I seriously doubt you'll find any good
documentation on efficient implementation by avoiding unnecessary
copies and optimizing the cpu cache (MPlayer basically wrote the book
on this, except there is no book, unfortunately, just code :). I'd
also be really surprised if you managed to find any decent documents
on inverse-telecine. Even good deinterlacing docs are probably rare.

IMO the best way to learn is to RTFS, talk to the developers, or flame
us to WTFM...

Rich