[MPlayer-G2-dev] Limitations in vo2 api :(

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Fri Dec 19 12:08:43 CET 2003

Heyo,

(First: dont assume that i understand anything about the vp/vo layer
at all. This here is just a random blurb)

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 03:44:48 -0500
D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> I tend to think that the vp layer should call the vo layer's
> get_buffer and release_buffer every time it wants to use buffers,
> rather than just getting them all at the beginning. This way, the vo
> driver would be free to decide when it can or can't give you buffers.
> But right now, the vo drivers are NOT written to support that sort of
> use. For example, the x11 driver allocates an image when you call
> get_buffer, and frees it when you call release_buffer -- very
> inefficient!

Imho this can be easily solved on x11's side by allocating some
buffers (X11images) before hand and manage them with get/release_buffer.
Every X11 programming book tells you anyways to allocate everything
you need at the beginning of your programm to allow caching at the
server side.

Also, as i already said on irc, we should IMHO integrate the
vo api into the vp and drop it. It would get us one api less
to document/learn and also remove some duplicated work as
a vo modules is much like a vf w/o an output.

		Attila Kinali

--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu