[MPlayer-G2-dev] vp layer and config

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Dec 18 05:35:52 CET 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 07:39:54PM -0600, Joey Parrish wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 07:04:49PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > > i think the new vf layer is the key of near everything.
> >
> > I still like this line. :))))))))
>
> I agree fully.  The vp layer is what I'm waiting for before I begin
> G2 development.  It's hard for me to think about writing a UI or a VO
> or a simple codec when I don't know what the right api will end up
> being.  But with vp finished, I can start clean ports of VO drivers,
> all that GIF code nobody else uses, etc.  :)
>
> Most of what I want to accomplish in MPlayer can't be done in G1.
> So my windows packages accumulate one cheap hack after another,
> I write more and more code that should _NEVER_ end up in CVS, etc.
> If G2 were stable, I don't think I'd give G1 another thought.

Could you please explain, either here or in a new thread on this list,
what some of the major limitations you've found in G1 are? I want to
make sure we avoid the same limitations in G2, and although I've been
thinking a lot about all the stuff that could go wrong, I'm sure I've
missed a few things.

> In short, finish vp soon, please.  :)

Yes, I'd like to... It keeps getting bigger and bigger. When it
started I was just looking at replacing the _filter_ layer, but then I
realized that the decoder and vo layers were a huge mess too and could
be simplified a lot by using the common vp api. And they needed to be
rewritten anyway to get rid of the horrible old buffer system and
replace it with the new one.

> Love and cola,

:)))

> --Joey