[MPlayer-G2-dev] bypassing PTS in video filter layer

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Aug 1 20:11:25 CEST 2003

Hi,

I have a problem. (who has no problems? :))

Currently the PTS info (absolute and relative timestamp, duration time)
is stored in the mpi (mp_image_t) structure while going through the
video filter layer. It's nice, and makes it's easy to handle frame delaying,
reordering. But what happens at skipped/dropped frames? PTS info also gets
dropped, so we end up guessing skipped time at the a-v sync core.
The issue is already visible when playing that 405*.avi sample from mphq ftp.
(it begins with around 4 seconds of zero (black, dropped) frames)

I have 2 ideas to solve this, none of them is nice ;(
method 1:
  always return an mpi, never return NULL (except for errors, maybe).
  also introduce a new mpi type, called NULL or ZERO.
  it means it only holds 'the place of picture', ie. timestamp and frame
  counter, but no actual image data.
method 2:
  create a pts_info structure, and use it to hold PTS info through filters.
  it needs filter API changes, and i have no nice idea how to store/pass
  this data. (teh function return values is mpi or NULL, so it could be
  an offset-type parameter like process_image(mpi,&ptsinfo) maybe, but
  it makes frame delaying/reordering (including attaching ptsinfto to
  mpi frames) tricky)

any better ideas?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--