[MPlayer-dvb] Using mplayer as DVB watcher

Alfredo Pironti alfredo.pironti at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 16:23:15 CET 2008

> > Moreover,
> > another problem arises: with TV I have the concept of "next" and
> > "previous" channel.
> > This would be lost by using mplayer alone.
>
> 'h' and 'k' in plain mplayer

Just for the sake of completeness, let me better explain my own
concept of "previous" and "next":
- if I chose channel 3, then prev is 2, and next is 4
- if I chose a channel from a group, then prev and next channels
should be those inside the same group
- if I chose an ungrouped channel, then prev and next are taken from
the global list.

I don't know if plain 'h' and 'k' implement the same semantics.
However, all of this is detail, if some frontend or different player
is to be used.

> > We can also think about another solution. Once we decide what's
> > best, I'll start coding.
>
> before writing something new, kmplayer  (IIRC) should be the best
> frontend already available

Indeed, coding may just be patching, not writing from scratch.

> another thing: maybe kaffeine is the closest thing to what you
> are looking for, although it doesn't use mplayer.

Thank you very very much for the references. They can save me hours of
hopeless coding :-)
I'll try them as soon as I can. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again and cheers!
Alfredo