[MPlayer-dvb] Recording TV: broken indexes, the endpos flag, and the recording status line

Mark James mrj at bigpond.net.au
Sun Nov 26 14:10:42 CET 2006

Nico Sabbi wrote:

> because when generating an avi file with -ovc copy mencoder
> doesn't analyze the frame type (I frame or not), so it doesn't set
> the keyframe flag on any video chunk, hence the index doesn't contain
> any seekable point

OK, does that mean dumpstream adds information to the written transport
stream that mencoder copy does not; or is it that mencoder copy strips
something from the transport stream that dumpstream does not?

That is, is the raw transport stream seekable, or is dumpstream fixing
it in a way that mencoder copy does not?

Your reply seems to indicate it's something to do with the default avi
output of mencoder.  Is the mpg file output by "format=dvd:tsaf" the same
as that produced by dumpstream, or is it different, requiring some extra
procesing load relative to a dumpstream?