[MPlayer-dvb] W.: Your system is too SLOW to play this

Mark James mrj at bigpond.net.au
Sat Dec 9 12:14:41 CET 2006

h.h.braun at arcor.de wrote:
> I am using Debian unstable with Linux 2.6.18
> with  AMD Athlon 64 Prozessor 3000+ 1.8 GHz 504 MB
> WinTV-HVR-1110 TV-Card and Radeon 9250 with 3D Acceleration
> When I try viewing DVB with mplayer picture and sounf become quickly flickering and I get
> the message Your system is too SLOW to play this!
> What is wrong ?

Has it always been like this, or was it once fast but now is slow?

If it has always been slow then make sure you try different video
output drivers.  I've found that the gl driver is best for my
Nvidia card.  You can set this either using "-vo gl" on the mplayer
command line, or setting "vo=gl" in the global mplayer config
file (/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf).  There's another OpenGL driver
called "gl2", but I found this was not as fast as gl for my card.
To use the OpenGL mplayer drivers make sure you've correctly installed
your ATI X drivers.

If it's suddenly slow, check that a package update has not overwritten
your ATI OpenGL drivers with generic ones.  This happened to me today,
and mplayer was very slow until I reinstalled my Nvidia drivers.

If the gl driver doesn't work, try others like "xv", "sdl", and "xvidix".
Use "mplayer -vo help" to see a list of posibilities.