[MPlayer-dvb] Recording TV: broken indexes, the endpos flag, and the recording status line

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at email.it
Wed Dec 6 09:49:59 CET 2006

Mark James wrote:

> That works great Nico.
>
> I found that for HD PAL (1440x1080) content vbuf sizes 333 and above
> with an automatically-determined mux rate caused the mux rate to be
> auto-increased to 16233.  With vbuf between 332 and 300 the final mux
> rate increased to either 17857 or 19643, but the encoded file was still
> fine.

in this case keep the muxrate to 20000 and no dts should underflow

> Below 300 the mux rate increased further, errors started to be
> reported, memory started to run away, and the file was corrupted.
>
> What would you recommmend for a program to record both SD and HD content?
> A vbuf of 400 and auto mux rate, a setting for both vbuf and mux rate,
> or should the vbuf setting change depending on whether SD or HD is being
> encoded?  Should a vbuf of 400 cover all types of HD?
>
> Mark

I don't know the specification for HD content, maybe ATSC defines them.
In any case keeping the vbuf value as small as possible is recommended
for the sake of playability on the largest possible number of players.

Maybe you can find out the currently used vbuf in the TS with:
$ mpeg2desc -u < file.ts | grep pstd

(mpeg2desc is part of dvdauthor)