[Mplayer-dvb] Reproducible MPlayer Crash with dvb-t card

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Tue May 11 16:28:30 CEST 2004

David Maslen wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I think I need a bit of help to know how to report this bug. ie Strace
>or other tools.
>
>It may not exactly be a mplayer bug, but I can reproduce it with
>mplayer and not with any other program on my system.
>
>I have a Avermedia DVB-T card. It's working on my debian system with a
>V2.6.5 kernel. The system is a Celeron 1400, with aprox 380M SDRAM, on
>an older Asus P2B-F motherboard.
>
>Below is a cut and paste from a screen session.  It shows me dumping a
>stream to disk. It starts to save. Then I jump to another shell (via
>the network) and run a disk intensive command like find /

the error you see below is due to the fact that mplayer didn't read()
fast enough from the
DVB drivers, which overflew.
This is logical if  your system isn't fast enough to handle the load.

>The Mplayer session immediately ends, and won't start again until I
>reload the kernel module dvb-bt8xx. (rmmod then modprobe).

this sounds like a bug in the dvb drivers (either bttv or dvb-bt8xx).
Does tzap -r + mplayer /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0  work correctly when you
have this problem?

>I did record a show while watch another last night (at the console not
>across the network), which makes me think it might not be disk access
>or cpu load. I think it could be related to network access, as running
>a P2P file sharing application or transferring a large file across the
>network also seems to have the same effect (ie. cause a crash).

it's not a crash: mplayer simply exists because repeated read() from the
card failed;
you can increase this value from 5 to the value you want (priv->retry in
libmpdemux/dvbin.c).
Maybe using your network card triggers something that raises the system
load?
Is your disk very slow? Something in 2.6.x  seems to have a similar
effect on my system:
every massive I/O on the disk seems to almost paralize my PC; I suspect
anticipatory scheduling,
so I'll try to disable it.
Are you sharing interrupts?

       Nico