[MPlayer-dvb] Better picture for mplayer-dvb

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Sun Dec 5 16:54:00 CET 2004

Sebastian Kemper wrote:

> Nico Sabbi schrieb:
>
>> 2 MB/s means 16 Mbit/s; this may be really too high for the card (the
>> previous figure of 5 Mb/s should not,
>> because the card is supposed to play DVD content, which may get as
>> high as 9.8 Mb/s)
>> but I'm just guessing: I don't have a FF card.
>

> Great input, Nico. Allthough you might have confused MB/s and Mbit/s?
> Let see if I understand correctly:
>
> 1. 2MB/s ~ 16Mbit/s
> 2. A DVD can have a maximum throughput of 9.8MBit/s
> 3. We assume that the maximum throughput of a dvb card is the same as DVD

no, you can't assume it, but generally they are, especially since dvb
transponders are packing
more and more tvs on the same stream.
I can see on a local dvb-t transmitter a tv encoded at 720x576 at 3Mb/s
and 128 mp2 audio :)

> If I understand correctly, wouldn't it be worth to try if things work
> better with a patched version of lavc that has a bitrate boundary at
> 9.8MBit/s? What do you think? Who could we ask for such a patch? :)
> Can you do it yourself? :) I can't program anything except
> printf/scanf things yet :)
>
> Sebastian

uhm, I always thought that -vf lavc is a bit rigid. I will try, but not
soon, because I'm quite busy at the moment.