[Mplayer-dvb] Mplayer playing NTSC divx on dvb-s (VDR)

Sebastian Kemper sebastian.kemper at web.de
Wed Aug 4 23:32:26 CEST 2004

Hello,

I'm new to the list, so please forgive if this has allready been posted.

I want to be able to play NTSC divx files on my VDR without having to
recode the file to PAL framerates. This was allready possible with
mplayer 1.0-pre3. But something must have changed in 1.0-pre4/5. Now
it's impossible (my TV accepts NTSC also).

Some time ago I went into the mplayer irc channel on freenode. This is
what I was told in the channel:

<micmac> I got a problem with pre4 when I want it to send the video to
my dvb card. pre3 works, pre4 doesn't. It tried FFMPEGs lavc to decode
the vid but fails with "[mpeg1video @ 0x849cf60]removing common factors
from framerate" and "[mpeg1video @ 0x849cf60]MPEG1/2 doesnt support 29/1
fps". If you want to you can see the whole error message and the output
of both mplayer versions at
[URL]http://www.vdrportal.de/board/thread.php?threadid=16398&sid=[/URL]
<dalias> uhg ok
<dalias> just a sec
<dalias> the problem is locale
<dalias> in your locale "," is the decimal separator
<dalias> so 29.97 gets parsed as 29
<micmac> I don't understand. Why does it work with pre3?
<Mosu> probably because pre3 hasn't used setlocale or sth like that
<dalias> because the old libavcodec ignored the fact that the framerate
was invalid
<Mosu> or that
<dalias> mosu, no, old lavc silently let you use bad framerate and
results were probably unpredictable
<micmac> So it's a Gentoo problem in my case?
<dalias> micmac, no
<dalias> if mplayer is going to support locale, it needs to work around
problems like this
<sikkh> dalias: btw Jeff Dike (UML creator) also uses emacs ;)
<micmac> Then it's a problem with my "export LANG=de_DE at euro"?
<dalias> the problem is that people put locale support in mplayer
without thinking about it
<dalias> so it's buggy
<dalias> yeah
<dalias> if you get rid of that it will work fine
<dalias> you could also try using 30
<micmac> How can I get rid of it with ./configure?
<dalias> and see if that gets rounded to a reasonable number
<timebomb_> micmac: just put an alias that overrides that lang
<timebomb_> then when you use mplayer it will have no probs
<dalias> --disable-i18n
<dalias> or what timebomb_ said
<timebomb_> u could e.g. use alias mplayer 'LANG=en_US mplayer' in your
.bashrc
<micmac> timebomb_, sorry, I'm nut dumb but maybe my English is not too
well. Can you say that once more please.
<timebomb_> assuming that you use bash from that export and gentoo
<micmac> oh. ok thx.
<timebomb_> hehe nut dumb might be misunderstood :D
<micmac> Can I paste this convo in the [URL]www.vdrportal.de[/URL]
thread I opened?
<dalias> sure
--- timebomb_ ist jetzt bekannt als timebomb
<micmac> ty guys. Are you gonna try to get rid of this locale mixpup in
the future?
--- ChanServ gibt Voice-Status an timebomb
<timebomb> that might be so
<timebomb> maybe with pre5 :)
<micmac> Thanks!
<micmac> bye bye
<timebomb> bye

Nothing helped. Not setting a locale manually nor compiling mplayer
without nls. Can this be fixed?

Thanks!

Sebastian